A First Encounter with Machine Learning

A simple, intuitive introduction into the concepts of machine learning.

Publication date: 21 Apr 2010

ISBN-10: n/a

ISBN-13: n/a

Paperback: 93 pages

Views: 9,660

Type: Book

Publisher: n/a

License: n/a

Post time: 14 Apr 2016 04:00:00

A First Encounter with Machine Learning A simple, intuitive introduction into the concepts of machine learning.
Tag(s): Machine Learning
Publication date: 21 Apr 2010
ISBN-10: n/a
ISBN-13: n/a
Paperback: 93 pages
Views: 9,660
Document Type: Book
Publisher: n/a
License: n/a
Post time: 14 Apr 2016 04:00:00
From the Preface:
Max Welling wrote:In winter quarter 2007 I taught an undergraduate course in machine learning at UC Irvine. While I had been teaching machine learning at a graduate level it became soon clear that teaching the same material to an undergraduate class was a whole new challenge. Much of machine learning is build upon concepts from mathematics such as partial derivatives, eigenvalue decompositions, multivariate probability densities and so on. I quickly found that these concepts could not be taken for granted at an undergraduate level. The situation was aggravated by the lack of a suitable textbook. Excellent textbooks do exist for this field, but I found all of them to be too technical for a first encounter with machine learning. This experience led me to believe there was a genuine need for a simple, intuitive introduction into the concepts of machine learning. A first read to wet the appetite so to speak, a prelude to the more technical and advanced textbooks. Hence, the book you see before you is meant for those starting out in the field who need a simple, intuitive explanation of some of the most useful algorithms that our field has to offer.

About The Author(s)

Max Welling is a Professor of Computer Science and Statistics at University of Califronia Irvine (UCI), an Associate Fellow at Canadian Institute for Advanced Research, holds a "Research Chair" at University of Amsterdam (UvA) and a Co-Founder of Scyfer BV.

Max Welling

Max Welling is a Professor of Computer Science and Statistics at University of Califronia Irvine (UCI), an Associate Fellow at Canadian Institute for Advanced Research, holds a "Research Chair" at University of Amsterdam (UvA) and a Co-Founder of Scyfer BV.

Book Categories
Sponsors