An Introduction to Computer Networks

An introductory text for college or graduate course in computer networks, with a balance between practical matters and underlying principles. It covers the LAN, internetworking and transport layers, focusing primarily on TCP/IP.

Publication date: 14 Jun 2016

ISBN-10: n/a

ISBN-13: n/a

Paperback: 712 pages

Views: 12,132

Type: N/A

Publisher: n/a

License: Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs-NonCommercial 1.0 Generic

Post time: 14 Jul 2016 11:00:00

An Introduction to Computer Networks An introductory text for college or graduate course in computer networks, with a balance between practical matters and underlying principles. It covers the LAN, internetworking and transport layers, focusing primarily on TCP/IP.
Tag(s): Data Communication and Networks
Publication date: 14 Jun 2016
ISBN-10: n/a
ISBN-13: n/a
Paperback: 712 pages
Views: 12,132
Document Type: N/A
Publisher: n/a
License: Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs-NonCommercial 1.0 Generic
Post time: 14 Jul 2016 11:00:00
Summary/Excerpts of (and not a substitute for) the Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs-NonCommercial 1.0 Generic:
You are free to:

Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format

The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

Click here to read the full license.
From the Preface:
Peter Lars Dordal wrote:This book is meant as a serious and more-or-less thorough text for an introductory college or graduate course in computer networks, carefully researched, with consistent notation and style, and complete with diagrams and exercises. My intent is to create a text that covers to a reasonable extent why the Internet is the way it is, to avoid the endless dreary focus on TLA’s (Three-Letter Acronyms), and to remain not too mathematical. For the last, I have avoided calculus, linear algebra, and, for that matter, quadratic terms (though some inequalities do sneak in at times). That said, the book includes a large number of back-of-the-envelope calculations – in settings as concrete as I could make them – illustrating various networking concepts. 

Overall, I tried to find a happy medium between practical matters and underlying principles. My goal has been to create a book that is useful to a broad audience, including those interested in network management, in high-performance networking, in software development, or just in how the Internet is put together.

About The Author(s)

Dr. Dordal is an associate professor within the Department of Computer Science at Loyola University of Chicago. His research interests include set theory, mathematical logic, the theory of programming languages, and computer networks. Dr. Dordal's research in mathematics has appeared in leading journals, including the Annals of Pure and Applied Logic and the Journal of Symbolic Logic.

Peter Lars Dordal

Dr. Dordal is an associate professor within the Department of Computer Science at Loyola University of Chicago. His research interests include set theory, mathematical logic, the theory of programming languages, and computer networks. Dr. Dordal's research in mathematics has appeared in leading journals, including the Annals of Pure and Applied Logic and the Journal of Symbolic Logic.

Book Categories
Sponsors