Introductory Business Statistics

Explores the basic ideas behind statistics, such as populations, samples, the difference between data and information, and most importantly sampling distributions.

Tag(s): Statistics

Publication date: 01 Dec 2010

ISBN-10: n/a

ISBN-13: n/a

Paperback: 82 pages

Views: 8,473

Type: Textbook

Publisher: Global Text Project

License: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International

Post time: 04 May 2017 08:00:00

Introductory Business Statistics Explores the basic ideas behind statistics, such as populations, samples, the difference between data and information, and most importantly sampling distributions.
Tag(s): Statistics
Publication date: 01 Dec 2010
ISBN-10: n/a
ISBN-13: n/a
Paperback: 82 pages
Views: 8,473
Document Type: Textbook
Publisher: Global Text Project
License: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Post time: 04 May 2017 08:00:00
Summary/Excerpts of (and not a substitute for) the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International:
You are free to:

Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.

The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

Click here to read the full license.
Excerpts from the Preface:
Thomas K. Tiemann wrote:I have been teaching introductory statistics to undergraduate economics and business students for almost 30 years. When I took the course as an undergraduate, before computers were widely available to students, we had lots of homework, and learned how to do the arithmetic needed to get the mathematical answer. When I got to graduate school, I found out that I did not have any idea of how statistics worked, or what test to use in what situation. The first few times I taught the course, I stressed learning what test to use in what situation and what the arithmetic answer meant. 

As computers became more and more available, students would do statistical studies that would have taken months to perform before, and it became even more important that students understand some of the basic ideas behind statistics, especially the sampling distribution, so I shifted my courses toward an intuitive understanding of sampling distributions and their place in hypothesis testing. That is what is presented here — my attempt to help students understand how statistics works, not just how to "get the right number".

About The Author(s)

Thomas K. Tiemann is Jefferson Pilot Professor of Economics at Elon University in North Carolina, USA. He earned an AB in Economics at Dartmouth College and a PhD at Vanderbilt University. He has been teaching basic business and economics statistics for over 30 years, and tries to take an intuitive approach, rather than a mathematical approach, when teaching statistics. 

Thomas K. Tiemann

Thomas K. Tiemann is Jefferson Pilot Professor of Economics at Elon University in North Carolina, USA. He earned an AB in Economics at Dartmouth College and a PhD at Vanderbilt University. He has been teaching basic business and economics statistics for over 30 years, and tries to take an intuitive approach, rather than a mathematical approach, when teaching statistics. 

Book Categories
Sponsors