PHP Reference: Beginner to Intermediate PHP5

A collection of over 250 PHP functions with clear explanations in language anyone can understand, followed with as many examples as it takes to understand what the function does and how it works.

Tag(s): PHP

Publication date:

ISBN-10: n/a

ISBN-13: 9781435715905

Paperback: 163 pages

Views: 31,829

Type: N/A

Publisher: n/a

License: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic

Post time: 30 Oct 2011 09:06:53

PHP Reference: Beginner to Intermediate PHP5 A collection of over 250 PHP functions with clear explanations in language anyone can understand, followed with as many examples as it takes to understand what the function does and how it works.
Tag(s): PHP
Publication date:
ISBN-10: n/a
ISBN-13: 9781435715905
Paperback: 163 pages
Views: 31,829
Document Type: N/A
Publisher: n/a
License: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic
Post time: 30 Oct 2011 09:06:53
Summary/Excerpts of (and not a substitute for) the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic:
You are free to:

Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material

The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

Click here to read the full license.
Excerpts from the Preface:

Mario Lurig wrote:I taught myself PHP and MySQL and found myself, at times, without internet access and thus without search access to the PHP.net manual ( http://www.php.net/manual/en/ ). Since coding was not my primary job, I needed a refresher on syntax, usage, and most of all, a reminder of how to code PHP without spending an hour debugging a silly mistake. I printed out reference sheets, cards, cheat sheets and tried to work off of them exclusively. However, I still found myself needing more than would fit on one page of 8.5" x 11" paper front and back. So, off I went to the web and the local bookstore. After spending some time with a few books, giving them a trial run, I ran into two major problems:

1. I spent most of the time weeding through extensive tutorials to find the keyword and answer I was looking for, sometimes fruitlessly.
2. Information was biased or surrounded by irrelevant and often confusing code that did little to explain the what of the function.

I figured I couldn't be the only one with this problem, and quickly found out that I wasn't alone thanks to a chance run-in at a local bookstore. Casual PHP programmers, sometimes away from the internet, wanting a quick reference book that assumes they have some experience with PHP and understood the basics while still needing a little clarification sometimes on the details. Therefore, this book was born.

For this edition, I decided to eliminate some of the more advanced aspects of PHP programming: object oriented programming, image manipulation/creation, secondary modules, and a few others. Secondarily, items such as mail handling, file manipulation, regular expressions, MySQL, sessions, and cookies were balanced for complexity and usability, usually excluding the more advanced uses, such as streams . Finally, this book is not an exhaustive collection of every PHP function, but a majority selection of those appropriate for beginner to intermediate programmers. The most common or effective functions are included and some aliases are left out to reduce confusion, such as including is_int() and not is_long().

About The Author(s)

No information is available for this author.

Mario Lurig

No information is available for this author.

Book Categories
Sponsors