Sage for Power Users

Sage for Power Users

A book about Sage, a viable free open source alternative to the commercial programs Magma, Maple, Mathematica, and Matlab. Some previous computer programming experience is assumed.

Publication date: 13 Feb 2012

ISBN-10: n/a

ISBN-13: n/a

Paperback: 147 pages

Views: 7,211

Type: N/A

Publisher: n/a

License: Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported

Post time: 17 May 2016 06:00:00

Sage for Power Users

Sage for Power Users A book about Sage, a viable free open source alternative to the commercial programs Magma, Maple, Mathematica, and Matlab. Some previous computer programming experience is assumed.
Tag(s): Computer Aided Mathematics
Publication date: 13 Feb 2012
ISBN-10: n/a
ISBN-13: n/a
Paperback: 147 pages
Views: 7,211
Document Type: N/A
Publisher: n/a
License: Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported
Post time: 17 May 2016 06:00:00
Summary/Excerpts of (and not a substitute for) the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported:
You are free to:

Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.

The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

Click here to read the full license.
From the Preface:
William A. Stein wrote:This is a book about Sage http://sagemath.org, which is a large free open source software project that I started in 2005, whose “mission statement” is to create a viable free open source alternative to the commercial programs Magma, Maple, Mathematica, and Matlab. I have given many talks, tutorials, and workshops on Sage, and this book records what I have personally found to be the most important key ideas that are needed to make effective use of Sage. My intention is that you read the whole book cover-to-cover, and have thus kept the book intentionally short.

I assume that you have some previous computer programming experience, but not necessarily in Python. Though I’ll make reference to many mathematical topics when illustrating how to use Sage, do not worry if some are not familiar to you.

This book is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license, so it will always be freely available in many formats.

More information is available at author's website.

About The Author(s)

William Arthur Stein is a professor of mathematics at the University of Washington. He is known as the lead developer of SageMath.

William A. Stein

William Arthur Stein is a professor of mathematics at the University of Washington. He is known as the lead developer of SageMath.

Book Categories
Sponsors