The Book Of Ruby: A Hands-On Guide for the Adventurous

A comprehensive free tutorial to the Ruby language.

Tag(s): Ruby

Publication date: 01 Jul 2011

ISBN-10: n/a

ISBN-13: 9781593272944

Paperback: 400 pages

Views: 19,128

Type: N/A

Publisher: n/a

License: n/a

Post time: 19 Nov 2010 07:10:49

The Book Of Ruby: A Hands-On Guide for the Adventurous A comprehensive free tutorial to the Ruby language.
Tag(s): Ruby
Publication date: 01 Jul 2011
ISBN-10: n/a
ISBN-13: 9781593272944
Paperback: 400 pages
Views: 19,128
Document Type: N/A
Publisher: n/a
License: n/a
Post time: 19 Nov 2010 07:10:49
Terms and Conditions:
The right of Huw Collingbourne to be identified as the Author of the Work has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988.

Excerpts from the Introduction:
Huw Collingbourne wrote:As you are now reading a book on Ruby, I think it is safe to work on the assumption that you don't need me to persuade you of the merits of the Ruby language. Instead I'll take the somewhat unconventional step of starting with a warning: many people are attracted to Ruby by its simple syntax and its ease of use. They are wrong. Ruby's syntax may look simple at first sight but, the more you get to know the language the more you will realize that it is, on the contrary, extremely complex. The plain fact of the matter is that Ruby has a number of pitfalls just waiting for unwary programmers to drop into.

In this book it is my aim to guide you safely over the pitfalls and lead you through the choppy waters of Ruby's syntax and class libraries. In the process, I'll be exploring both the smooth, well-paved highways and the gnarlier, bumpy little byways of Ruby. By the end of the journey, you should be able to use Ruby safely and effectively without getting caught out by any unexpected hazards along the way.

The Book Of Ruby concentrates principally on version 1.8.x of the Ruby language. While a version 1.9 of Ruby has been released, Ruby 1.8 is still far more widely used. Ruby 1.9 may be regarded as a stepping stone towards Ruby 2.0. I most respects the syntax of Ruby 1.9 is close to that of Ruby 1.8 but you shoul be aware that there are some differences and complete compatibility is not guaranteed.

About The Author(s)

Huw Collingbourne is the technology director at SapphireSteel Software, developers of the “Sapphire” Ruby IDE for Visual Studio and the “Amethyst” IDE for the Adobe Flash Platform. He is author of The Book Of Ruby from No Starch Press. He runs Bitwise Courses and teaches courses on a range of programming topics.

Huw Collingbourne

Huw Collingbourne is the technology director at SapphireSteel Software, developers of the “Sapphire” Ruby IDE for Visual Studio and the “Amethyst” IDE for the Adobe Flash Platform. He is author of The Book Of Ruby from No Starch Press. He runs Bitwise Courses and teaches courses on a range of programming topics.

Book Categories
Sponsors