Essentials of Metaheuristics

This is an open set of lecture notes on metaheuristics algorithms, a common but unfortunate name for any stochastic optimization algorithm intended to be the last resort before giving up and using random or brute-force search.

Publication date: 01 Oct 2009

ISBN-10: n/a

ISBN-13: n/a

Paperback: n/a

Views: 25,079

Type: N/A

Publisher: n/a

License: Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License

Post time: 07 Mar 2010 05:50:29

Essentials of Metaheuristics This is an open set of lecture notes on metaheuristics algorithms, a common but unfortunate name for any stochastic optimization algorithm intended to be the last resort before giving up and using random or brute-force search.
Tag(s): Artificial Intelligence
Publication date: 01 Oct 2009
ISBN-10: n/a
ISBN-13: n/a
Paperback: n/a
Views: 25,079
Document Type: N/A
Publisher: n/a
License: Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License
Post time: 07 Mar 2010 05:50:29
Summary/Excerpts of (and not a substitute for) the Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License:
You are free to:

Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format for any purpose, even commercially.

The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

Click here to read the full license.
Excerpts from the Introduction:

Sean Luke wrote:Introduction

This is a set of lecture notes for an undergraduate class on metaheuristics. They were constructed for a course I taught in Spring of 2009, and I wrote them because, well, there’s a lack of undergraduate texts on the topic. As these are lecture notes for an undergraduate class on the topic, which is unusual, these notes have certain traits. First, they’re informal and contain a number of my own personal biases and misinformation. Second, they are light on theory and examples: they’re mostly descriptions of algorithms and handwavy, intuitive explanations about why and where you’d want to use them. Third, they’re chock full of algorithms great and small. I think these notes would best serve as a complement to a textbook, but can also stand alone as rapid introduction to the field. I make no guarantees whatsoever about the correctness of the algorithms or text in these notes. Indeed, they’re likely to have a lot of errors. Please tell me of any errors you find (and correct!). Some complex algorithms have been presented in simplified versions. In those cases I’ve noted it.

What is a Metaheuristic?

A common but unfortunate name for any stochastic optimization algorithm intended to be the last resort before giving up and using random or brute-force search. Such algorithms are used for problems where you don't know how to find a good solution, but if shown a candidate solution, you can give it a grade. The algorithmic family includes genetic algorithms, hill-climbing, simulated annealing, ant colony optimization, particle swarm optimization, and so on.

About The Author(s)

No information is available for this author.

Sean Luke

No information is available for this author.

Book Categories
Sponsors