Introduction to Networking: How the Internet Works

This book demystifies the architecture and protocols of computers as they communicate over the Internet. It was written for everyone - no technical knowledge is required.

Publication date: 25 May 2015

ISBN-10: 1511654945

ISBN-13: 9781511654944

Paperback: 119 pages

Views: 12,441

Type: Book

Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

License: Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International

Post time: 02 Dec 2016 09:00:00

Introduction to Networking: How the Internet Works This book demystifies the architecture and protocols of computers as they communicate over the Internet. It was written for everyone - no technical knowledge is required.
Tag(s): Data Communication and Networks
Publication date: 25 May 2015
ISBN-10: 1511654945
ISBN-13: 9781511654944
Paperback: 119 pages
Views: 12,441
Document Type: Book
Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
License: Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International
Post time: 02 Dec 2016 09:00:00
Summary/Excerpts of (and not a substitute for) the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International:
You are free to:

Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.

The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

Click here to read the full license.
From the Preface:

The goal of this book is to provide a basic understanding of the technical design and architecture of the Internet. The book is aimed at all audiences – even those with absolutely no prior technical experience or math skills. The Internet is an amazingly beautiful design and should be understood by all who use it.

While this book is not about the Network+ or CCNA certifications, I hope it serves as a way to give students interested in these certifications a good starting point.

I want to thank Pamela Fox of Khan Academy for coming up with the idea of an introductory network technology course using open materials. 

I initially developed this material as a single week’s lecture in the SI502 - Networked Computing course that I taught at the University of Michigan School of Information starting in 2008. I refined and expanded the material to be three weeks of the Internet History, Technology, and Security (IHTS) course that I have taught to over 100,000 students on Coursera starting in 2012. This book adds further detail to create a standalone text that can be read for enjoyment or used to support an introductory course that focuses on the Internet’s architecture.  

More Resources:

About The Author(s)

Charles Severance (@drchuck) is a Clinical Associate Professor in the School of Information at the University of Michigan where he teaches Informatics courses; he has also taught Computer Science at Michigan State University. Previously he was the Executive Director of the Sakai Foundation and the Chief Architect of the Sakai Project (www.sakaiproject.org).

Charles Severance

Charles Severance (@drchuck) is a Clinical Associate Professor in the School of Information at the University of Michigan where he teaches Informatics courses; he has also taught Computer Science at Michigan State University. Previously he was the Executive Director of the Sakai Foundation and the Chief Architect of the Sakai Project (www.sakaiproject.org).

Book Categories
Sponsors