On Lisp, Advanced Techniques for Common LISP

A comprehensive study of advanced Lisp techniques, with bottom-up programming as the unifying theme. It gives the first complete description of macros and macro applications.

Tag(s): Common Lisp

Publication date: 01 Sep 1993

ISBN-10: 0130305529

ISBN-13: n/a

Paperback: 432 pages

Views: 20,348

Type: N/A

Publisher: Prentice Hall

License: n/a

Post time: 28 Dec 2004 12:40:27

On Lisp, Advanced Techniques for Common LISP A comprehensive study of advanced Lisp techniques, with bottom-up programming as the unifying theme. It gives the first complete description of macros and macro applications.
Tag(s): Common Lisp
Publication date: 01 Sep 1993
ISBN-10: 0130305529
ISBN-13: n/a
Paperback: 432 pages
Views: 20,348
Document Type: N/A
Publisher: Prentice Hall
License: n/a
Post time: 28 Dec 2004 12:40:27
:santagrin: This book was suggested by pr_tiglao

Book excerpts:

On Lisp is intended for anyone who wants to become a better Lisp programmer. It assumes some familiarity with Lisp, but not necessarily extensive programming experience. The first few chapters contain a fair amount of review. These sections should be interesting to more experienced Lisp programmers as well, because they present familiar subjects in a new light.

It's difficult to convey the essence of a programming language in one sentence, but John Foderaro has come close:

Lisp is a programmable programming language.

There is more to Lisp than this, but the ability to bend Lisp to one's will is a large part of what distinguishes a Lisp expert from a novice. As well as writing their programs down toward the language, experienced Lisp programmers build the language up toward their programs. This book teaches how to program in the bottom-up style for which Lisp is inherently well-suited.

The theme of this book is twofold: that Lisp is a natural language for programs written in the bottom-up style, and that the bottom-up style is a natural way to write Lisp programs. On Lisp will thus be of interest to two classes of readers. For people interested in writing extensible programs, this book will show what you can do if you have the right language. For Lisp programmers, this book offers a practical explanation of how to use Lisp to its best advantage.

Reviews:

Amazon.com

:) No matter what your experience level (and I had been a professional Lisp hacker for over ten years when I first read this book), there is something to learn from _On Lisp_. Read it, and improve your ability to conceptualize solutions to your programming problems.

:) I personally don't code in Lisp, and if I did, I sure wouldn't do it in Common Lisp, the dialect this book concentrates on. However, this book what I was looking for -- interesting reading about some advanced programming concepts that happen to be demonstrated in Lisp.

About The Author(s)

No information is available for this author.

Paul Graham

No information is available for this author.

Book Categories
Sponsors