Self-Service Linux - Mastering the Art of Problem Determination

Shows how to diagnose problems that occur in the Linux environment effectively and efficiently.

Tag(s): GNU/Linux

Publication date: 01 Sep 2005

ISBN-10: 013147751X

ISBN-13: 013147751X

Paperback: n/a

Views: 17,594

Type: N/A

Publisher: Prentice Hall

License: Open Publication License

Post time: 04 Jan 2008 02:35:17

Self-Service Linux - Mastering the Art of Problem Determination Shows how to diagnose problems that occur in the Linux environment effectively and efficiently.
Tag(s): GNU/Linux
Publication date: 01 Sep 2005
ISBN-10: 013147751X
ISBN-13: 013147751X
Paperback: n/a
Views: 17,594
Document Type: N/A
Publisher: Prentice Hall
License: Open Publication License
Post time: 04 Jan 2008 02:35:17
Summary/Excerpts of (and not a substitute for) the Open Publication License:
The Open Publication works may be reproduced and distributed in whole or in part, in any medium physical or electronic, provided that the terms of this license are adhered to, and that this license or an incorporation of it by reference (with any options elected by the author(s) and/or publisher) is displayed in the reproduction. 

Click here to read the full license.
Excerpts from the Preface:

In a nutshell, this book is about effectively and efficiently diagnosing problems that occur in the Linux environment. It covers good investigation practices, how to use the information and resources on the Internet, and then dives right into detail describing how to use the most important problem determination tools that Linux has to offer.

Intended Audience:

This book has useful information for any Linux user but is certainly geared more toward the Linux professional. This includes Linux power users, Linux administrators, developers who write software for Linux, and support staff who support products on Linux.

Readers who casually use Linux at home will benefit also, as long as they either have a basic understanding of Linux or are at least willing to learn more about it—the latter being most important.

Ultimately, as Linux increases in popularity, there are many seasoned experts who are facing the challenge of translating their knowledge and experience to the Linux platform. Many are already experts with one or more operating systems except that they lack specific knowledge about the various command line incantations or ways to interpret their knowledge for Linux.

This book will help such experts to quickly adapt their existing skill set and apply it effectively on Linux.

This power-packed book contains real industry experience on many topics and very hard-to-find information. Without a doubt, it is a must have for any developer, tester, support analyst, or anyone who uses Linux.

Reviews:

Amazon.com:

:) "I'm not sure I've ever given a book 5 stars, but this hits me where I live. The only complaint I have is that the title is misleading: it should have been "Learn how to troubleshoot any Linux problem you ever see" or something like that. "

:) "FINALLY an easy understandable and very readable book about debugging and compiling. If you want to get only one book about compiling and debugging, this is it !"

About The Author(s)

No information is available for this author.

Dan Behman

Mark Wilding

Book Categories
Sponsors