The Scientist and Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing, 2nd Edition

Presents Digital Signal Processing in practical techniques while avoiding the barriers of detailed mathematics and abstract theory.

Publication date: 01 Oct 2003

ISBN-10: 0966017633

ISBN-13: n/a

Paperback: 640 pages

Views: 51,219

Type: N/A

Publisher: California Technical Publishing

License: n/a

Post time: 15 Jun 2005 08:10:20

The Scientist and Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing, 2nd Edition Presents Digital Signal Processing in practical techniques while avoiding the barriers of detailed mathematics and abstract theory.
Tag(s): Signal Processing
Publication date: 01 Oct 2003
ISBN-10: 0966017633
ISBN-13: n/a
Paperback: 640 pages
Views: 51,219
Document Type: N/A
Publisher: California Technical Publishing
License: n/a
Post time: 15 Jun 2005 08:10:20
:santagrin: This book was suggested by Per Pasgaard

Copyright and Permissible Use : click here for more details
1. You may download any or all of the book in electronic form, for your personal use.
2. You may create one printed copy of any or all of the book, for your personal use.
3. You may link other webpages to this site.
4. College instructors may copy and distribute any one chapter, per semester, to students in their classes.

Book excerpts:

This book was written for scientists and engineers in a wide variety of fields: physics, bioengineering, geology, oceanography, mechanical and electrical engineering, to name just a few. The goal is to present Digital Signal Processing in practical techniques while avoiding the barriers of detailed mathematics and abstract theory. To achieve this goal, three strategies were employed in writing this book:

First, the techniques are explained, not simply proven to be true through mathematical derivations. While much of the mathematics is included, it is not used as the primary means of conveying the information. Nothing beats a few well written paragraphs supported by good illustrations.

Second, complex numbers are treated as an advanced topic, something to be learned after the fundamental principles are understood. Chapters 1-29 explain all the basic techniques using only algebra, and in rare cases, a small amount of elementary calculus. Chapters 30-33 show how complex math extends the power of DSP, presenting techniques that cannot be implemented with real numbers alone.

Third, very simple computer programs are used. Most DSP programs are written in C, Fortran, or a similar language. However, learning DSP has different requirements than using DSP. The student needs to concentrate on the algorithms and techniques, without being distracted by the quirks of a particular language. Power and flexibility aren't important; simplicity is critical. The programs in this book are written to teach DSP in the most straightforward way, with all other factors being treated as secondary. Good programming style is disregarded if it makes the program logic more clear.

The Intended Audience:

This book is primarily intended for a one year course in practical DSP, with the students being drawn from a wide variety of science and engineering fields. The suggested prerequisites are:

- A course in practical electronics: (op amps, RC circuits, etc.)
- A course in computer programming (Fortran or similar)
- One year of calculus

This book was also written with the practicing professional in mind. Many everyday DSP applications are discussed: digital filters, neural networks, data compression, audio and image processing, etc. As much as possible, these chapters stand on their own, not requiring the reader to review the entire book to solve a specific problem.

Reviews:

Amazon.com

:) "I'm still in the middle of this book but now I can understand what the mathematical languages mean. The author is very precise using math languages and translate the language into easy plain english without missing any clarity and bravity of mathematical language."

:) "With the help of this book I have developed a modem software within four months, without any basic knowledge in DSP."

:) "After skimming through other books and becoming quite frustrated hacking my way through others I have found not only the best introduction to DSP in publication, but also one of the best technical books I've ever seen... and I read a lot of technical books outside of required texts."

:) "The author promises at the beginning of the book to explain all DSP concepts without using anything else then elementry math. He has succeeded in doing that from page one to the last one!."

About The Author(s)

No information is available for this author.

Stephen W. Smith

No information is available for this author.

Book Categories
Sponsors