Thinking in C++, 2nd Edition

An excellent tutorial to mastering C++, emphasizing on practical programming.

Tag(s): C / C++

Publication date: 25 Mar 2000

ISBN-10: 0139798099

ISBN-13: 9780139798092

Paperback: 814 pages

Views: 39,440

Type: N/A

Publisher: Prentice Hall

License: n/a

Post time: 24 Oct 2004 05:36:39

Thinking in C++, 2nd Edition An excellent tutorial to mastering C++, emphasizing on practical programming.
Tag(s): C / C++
Publication date: 25 Mar 2000
ISBN-10: 0139798099
ISBN-13: 9780139798092
Paperback: 814 pages
Views: 39,440
Document Type: N/A
Publisher: Prentice Hall
License: n/a
Post time: 24 Oct 2004 05:36:39
Book excerpts:

Fully revised and beefed up with plenty of new material on today's Standard C++, the new edition of Bruce Eckel's Thinking in C++: Volume I is an excellent tutorial to mastering this rich (and sometimes daunting) programming language, filled with expert advice and written in a patient, knowledgeable style.

The effective presentation, along with dozens of helpful code examples, make this book a standout. The text first sets the stage for using C++ with a tour of what object-oriented programming is all about, as well as the software design life cycle. The author then delves into every aspect of C++, from basic keywords and programming principles to more advanced topics, like function and operator overloading, virtual inheritance, exception handling, namespaces, and templates. C++ is a complex language, and the author covers a lot of ground using today's Standard C++, but without getting bogged down in excessive detail.

The emphasis here is on practical programming, so there's basic advice on using header files, preprocessor directives, and namespaces to organize code effectively. Each chapter ends with exercises (usually about two dozen), and the entire text of the book is available on the accompanying CD-ROM.

Whether you have read the first edition of this book or not, there is much to mine from Thinking in C++. This new version continues to set a high standard as an approachable and thorough tutorial.

Reviews:

Amazon.com

:) "I wish I had found it earlier because in my view it has the easiest to understand explanations of any book I've seen."

Jacob Mundt

:) "... recommended for anyone (especially C hackers) serious about learning and using the fulll power of C++ in the most efficient manner possible."

Interviews:

InformIT

About The Author(s)

No information is available for this author.

Bruce Eckel

No information is available for this author.

Book Categories
Sponsors